As you probably aware if you're a long time user of the swapmeet, it hasn't really changed in 10 years. A few security features have been put in place, and for privacy reasons we went to a different method of contacting sellers. Other than that, it's really the same old swapmeet it has always been.
While I've always felt the success of the swapmeet was it's simplicity, I have recognized the need to add in some additional features for those who are a little more technically savvy.
The following are features found in this 2006 upgrade:
- All ads now written to a SQL database.
- Ads expire and are automatically removed and archived 30 days after being posted.
- Each person can now create their own Registered Account where they can...
- Post photo ads
- Save ads
- Perform Keyword Searches
Key Features for Registered Accounts
- When posting ads you no longer have to enter your contact information, our program will enter that automaticaly do that for you.
- Any ads you post will be available for you to modify or delete.
- Any responses to your ad will generate an e-mail message to you AND will be written underneath your posted ad. This is a feature that will ensure you don't miss any responses.
- When posting ads, you will now be able to select "For Sale", "Wanted", "Transportation Ads and many other selections.
- When searching, you can limit your searching to just "For Sale" ads or just "Wanted" ads or just "Transportation Ads", etc
- Those donating to the swapmeet will receive our the "Rider" icon, signifying that you are a supporter of the swapmeet.
- Donations will be tracked and at certain threshold levels you will receive stars underneath your Icon.
- Personal icons will be allowed, providing they follow the existing format of 80x80 pixels, are cut out and over a white background. Thus you can have your own cool rider icon!
There are a number of other features that we will announce as they become available.
So, basically, the site will remain functionally the same as it has been for 10 years. However, if you create an account and login, a host of new features will be at your disposal. This two-pronged approach keeps the site easy to use for the less technically inclined and powerful for those who need a little more horsepower.
If you have any questions or comments about the swapmeet, just e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark C. Holloway