Vintage MX Swapmeet Logo MESSAGE BOARD
General Discussion of Vintage MX

FAQ | SearchRegister | Log inBack to Swapmeet 

Suzuki RM-400 Cylinder Difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motocross

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Suzuki RM-400 Cylinder Difference Reply with quote

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what the differences are between the 1978 RM-400 cylinder and that of the 1979 and 1980.

I'm trying to help a buddy locate one for a 1979 RM-400. By the Suzuki parts reference, there is indeed a parts number difference of the actual cylinders AND...that of the connecting rods...between the 1978 and 79/80. (Likely a change in the length of stroke?)

We've come across several cylinder that the seller doesn't know the exact year OR...we want to be certain of what we're buying. I suspect that the answer to this question would be the length of the actual cylinder liner...but I simply don't know for sure. If anyone can help me ID'ing, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg
roncdefonce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suzuki RM-400 Cylinder Difference Reply with quote

motocross wrote:
I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what the differences are between the 1978 RM-400 cylinder and that of the 1979 and 1980.

I'm trying to help a buddy locate one for a 1979 RM-400. By the Suzuki parts reference, there is indeed a parts number difference of the actual cylinders AND...that of the connecting rods...between the 1978 and 79/80. (Likely a change in the length of stroke?)

We've come across several cylinder that the seller doesn't know the exact year OR...we want to be certain of what we're buying. I suspect that the answer to this question would be the length of the actual cylinder liner...but I simply don't know for sure. If anyone can help me ID'ing, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg

comparing the two is a tall order without the actual parts in front of you . . . but I do believe the '78 motor is the same as '79. I had a '78 a couple years ago; my bro had a '79 a long time ago. I recall him saying they are the same.
they sure do run identically! different p/n might only mean it's a different year, not that dimensions are diff. of course, i'm not 100% sure though.
motocross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ron!
rgsmoto66

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'78 was same as 370, larger bore to 402cc.
The '79 and '80 was a completely different engine, I think they were 416cc if I remember right.
Robert Schow
motocross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT Robert! Greatly appreciated sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: