Vintage MX Swapmeet Logo MESSAGE BOARD
General Discussion of Vintage MX

FAQ | SearchRegister | Log inBack to Swapmeet 

1980 CR250r vs. RM250

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wraight2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: 1980 CR250r vs. RM250 Reply with quote

I was wondering if any one could tell me how a 1980 CR250r Honda and a 1980 RM250 Suzuki compared when new and in stock form? Im not interested in which is fastest, just a general all around capability. I am looking a buy either but cant buy both.
amsoilfl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: RM vs CR Reply with quote

Hey Hugh...I won my competitive district and went to the amateur nationals on the RM. And it was the dominate choice for others. In stock trim, it handled second to the Maico with plenty of reliable power. With Fox Air in the rear, a basic fork kit up front, Boyesen Reeds and a pipe was all it needed. (Accessory parts EVERYONE was using than and looking for today) I'm told that there are plenty of OEM NOS parts for this era of Suzuki still available. In-a-nutshell and my opinion, the Rm gets the nod BUT, I've always loved "the bling" of the Red Riders. So pretty...!

Take care buddy!
Greg
dct270

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RM250 is superior in everyway, it was in 1980 and still is today!
Parts are avaialble- many still from suzuki- rod kits, pistons, gaskets
airboots, airfilters, all bearings Lots of nos stuff around
Vintage Suzuki can set you up with all the cosmetic parts
easy to work-on FASTTT! great handling bike
Iron lined cyclinder-tough as nails
With the right work the 1980RM can look as trick as anything out there!

Honda's suck for parts- used stuff is available- but 90% is worn out trash
Crappy powerband
Chrome cylinder- mine lasted 2 weeks, kickers are junk- mine lasted 3 days before it was sloppy
shocks blew on the 4th day i think
I rode for 3hrs a day 6 days a week back then,on the Iron Range in Northern MN- solid rock.trees, swamp My bikes barely cooled off
We even rode all year, January was the best -30 riding across a frozen lake wide open. My 1980 YZ's held up the best. I sold my 1980 cr250 the following year for$ 250.00 it was used-up junk - I rode the bikes like
they were meant to be, not sitting in storage. I think thats why there are so many Honda's left- the people who bought most of them just liked the color and did not ride them

I still have my 79 CR, Its nice to look at but, I won't ride it

I have my RM's ,YZ, and modern Honda CR250 to ride

Last edited by dct270 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
joseschopshop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Zuki but the Honda will put a pretty big grin on you're face when you holeshot a pack of new 450's on a modern track.Mine must be an oddball as the crappy chrome liner is still working fine and the kicker is still tight after 30 years.The shocks did crap out when it turned 30 years old.That may have something to do with 29 years in storage taking it's toll on the seals though.

I still like to look at mine when I'm out in the garage but I replaced it with a low hour 1990 KX250 to upgrade my suspension.The tracks I ride are just too technical for the old red rocket.
bikebuzzard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in the RM camp.....I raced one in 1980 and it was a good fast RUGGED bike!....the 1979 models had issues - the 1980's had those things fixed......I also used Fox Airshox...the CR Honda also had a plated cylinder I believe......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: